Forum home Plants

Antirrhinums

My tray of antirrhinum seeds have germinated on a windowsill, but they are now starting to get a bit leggy. Would they be ok out in an unheated greenhouse where they are less likely to get all spindly and leggy, or do I need to mollycoddle them a bit longer indoors? 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

As long as you don't shock them too much they will be ok in the GH. I'd put them in during the day at the moment and move them into a cool room in the house at night. We're in for a cool spring so gradually harden them off till the weather improves.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,411

They are not hardy, so too early for unheated greenhouse, certainly at night, as DM says.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,387

If you have some more seeds, I would sow them mid March, longer, warmer days, they wont grow leggy and will be much stronger.

You cant plant them out in the garden until May! Have you got room to keep potting them on, you will need a lot of space for the next 3 months growth.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Don't they need a long growing season to flower in summer though? That's my experience of them.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Last year i did a test of what would and wouldnt survive in a cold greenhouse and from about mid march my antirrhinum seedlings were in a cold greenhouse and survived fine. Cant remember if it was particular mild or not. I live in the northeast but am about 2 miles from the coast so im unsure if that keeps it a little milder. Most of my antirrhinum plants did survive last winter also to flower another season.

• I thought so Charlie. The packet said to plant from Jan to April so I though late Feb would be OK.  I know they are not 'hardy' but I've had them survive well into the winter in the past, although I know its different for established plants compared to little seedlings. 

• Thanks Cairnsie. I have a thermometer in there, so perhaps will just bring them in if it threatens to be particularly cold overnight. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

I've had a cell tray with baby delphiniums outside on the garden table all winter. I noticed a couple of antirrhinum seedlings had self seeded in there too but left them in the sure knowledge that the winter would kill them off. They're still there!!