Tomatoes

hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations of tomato varieties.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like raw toms but cook with them frequently, therefore I'm after some varieties which will suit being cooked, particularly for pasta sauces etc.

I do have a greenhouse but would like to grow some outdoors also.

its my first year growing toms so nothing too tricksy please!! image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,862

I grow oval Roma tomatoes for making tomato sauce for freezing, because they are quite fleshy and less pippy. They are a bush variety so you don't need to pick out the sideshoots, rather a messy grower, but make lots of tomatoes that all ripen fairly much at the same time, so good for a cooking session.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • San marzano are excellent for pasta and pizza bases,blend up with or without the skins, no problems being frozen.

• I have roma for this year. I grew plum tomatoes a couple of years back and they did very well. My San marzano ones last year didn't do so well 

I have some unnamed beef tomato seeds that I bought in Greece last year that I will be trying too image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,215

I grew Roma last year, and found them totally tasteless. Ended up taking them straight off the plants and straight into the compost bins.

Devon.
  • I didn't have much luck with beefsteak last year, but I had loads of sweet aperitif cherry toms and froze bagfulls they are wonderful in any dish, and are really sweet just reduced down on their own with Sunday brekki. Oh sorry got carried away, a bit hungry now. image

They did ok in the greenhouse and outside.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,701

We loved our Roma. This year I am trying the San Marzano.

I am also growing green zebra, sungold, gardeners delight and marmande. These were all given to me via the seed swap. Tiny Tim I already had.

I took one of the top gardener/chefs advise and didnt keep giving them loads of water and feed. The more water given  apparantly, the more they will only taste of water.

I still have some in the feezer from a super bumper crop.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I think I'm going to go for the Roma & San Marzano, I'm also going to try marmande (purchased today!)

thanks everyone & fingers crossed! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,215

this year I'm going with sweet million , sungold and gardeners delight. I've still got some Roma seeds, so might give it Lyns tough love approach.

Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038

My favourite for cooking has always been Marmande which always gives me that 'South of France' taste I prefer, although I like Costoluto and Brandywine for this use too.  I don't make thick 'ketchup' consistency sauces though, so varieties with fewer seeds like Roma may be better for that. 

Undoubtedly, 'tough love' is the best way to grow toms - better flavour, less disease.image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi Kels image

Have you seen Mels post "free seeds"? Hes got quite a few diffetent tom varieties going begging, might be a nice way to try a few of each image