Forum home Fruit & veg

strawberrys

Hi this year I'm hoping to grow my first ever strawberry plants. Is it better getting them as plugs or seed. I have a small 2metre polytunnel to grow them in. Where do you usually get your seed or plugs from?

• I bought bare rooted plants last spring and planted them far too close because I only set aside about 3m x 1m in a net tunnel, I cut the flowers and runners off as they grew and hope that this summer I will have a bumper crop, fingers crossed!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Seeds usually give alpine-type plants. Repeat yielding but small. Plugs are produced vegetatively and are identical to their parents and will give big strawberries.
  • How long does it usually take from seed to see something happening ? 

I think strawberry seed needs light to germinate; so sow them on the surface. You will only get small alpine-type strawberries from seed.
  • oh good that's what I did and they are indoors in a propogater on my windowsill. In pound land they have strawberry plants that look like dead sticks what are these called and do you think they would be worth a try ??

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,394

I buy little plants in pots from the garden centre. Haven't found them sold bare root here in France.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • delboidelboi Posts: 22

I think I may try the elsanta (bare root) variety in the GW offers section. 30 for a tenner for two years crop can't be bad I guess. I thinking I could get runners from them and also have more to put in raised planters. Wish me luck I probably need it image also thank you all for your input image

Remember Elsanta is the strawberry mostly found in supermarkets and nobody rates the flavour very highly. They mostly stock it because it travels well, but that should not be a consideration with the variety you grow in your garden.
  • delboidelboi Posts: 22

Ok never really took notice of names of varietys before until recently, what would you recommend?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,444

Cambridge Favourite has a good flavour and fruits mid-season.  I've found 'Alice' to fruit well and have a good flavour, it's a bit later than Cambridge Favourite so would extend the season.

Lots here http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=80_117

I've been very pleased with what I've bought from Ken Muir - very good service.

Have fun image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh