Forum home Fruit & veg

Mixed trays? Good or bad?

Hi all just a thought really, I had a few packets of seeds from magazines, not a huge amount of seeds in each as they were free. Rather than taking up too much room in the propagator I put three different things in columns in a tray. They all required the same depth of soil to cover and similar growing conditions.

Are there any pitfalls to this? Only one I could think of was some might need potting on before others which could be inconvenient, but otherwise it seems like a good way to save space and get more going early in the propagator?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,377

They may well develop at different rates so as you say may need pricking out at different times, but if you put a dividing strip of cardboard or stiff plastic or similar between them you should be able to avoid root disturbance to the different sections.

I use half trays and shallow pots in my propagator to save space.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,807

Thanks Dove, I did think half trays would be a better solution, just a case of using what I had image I've just cut up some old ice cream tub lids for labels I think the same plastic could make good dividers. image

Perhaps we should start a thread for 101 uses in the garden for plastic ice cream tubs (and the lids), I never throw them away.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,377

I don't throw them away either but at this time of year I have to hide them as OH (artist) uses them to mix paint in - somehow art takes priority imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,807

I use them for the same purpose, the lids are good for mixing up epoxy resin too! I have lots of demands for ice cream tubs, motorcycle and other hobby bits and pieces, used in the potting shed and garden. Good job the OH eats tons of vanilla ice cream image

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

I generally use half of a tray for different seedlings too. Too many plants if I use the whole tray. Haven't had any problems with root disturbance as generally leave a bit of a gap between the two.