Electric grass scarifiers

The grass in my back garden covers an area of approx. 170 square metres and it's very bumpy with lots of ant hills which makes it difficult to mow.

Last year I used a lawn treatment company and when they scarified there were 2 recycling bins and a big builders type dumpy bag full of moss, thatch etc.  I've stopped using them now because I really need to sort out the humps and bumps.

I'm contemplating buying a cheapish electric scarifier because since their scarifying efforts it's been a bit easier to heave the mower round and I'd like to keep on top of the dead grass and thatch issue as much as I can.

I was considering this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGZA73W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VBTHG4LE3I84&coliid=ITJX8KM94XGRC

I thought I might be able to do it a bit at a time with something like this. Do you think I'd be wasting my money.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

I've got a Bosch AVR1100 which is similar I imagine and although my lawn is bumpy and sunken in places it does remove a huge amount of 'stuff'.
    I wouldn't rely on the aerating function to achieve much though the machine only weighs 8.5kg. My neighbour had his aerated professionally a couple of weeks ago and the machine was very big and very heavy

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690

We've got this one, every year we get enough moss to fill a small caravan,  and that's with using a moss killer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00142IQIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541

We've got this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb428gdo-32cm-1300w-lawn-scarifier-230v/48162 

We're really pleased with it. image  

It rakes well, and with a change of  'head' it scarifies ... as with Pete's it doesn't really aerate deeply, but it's still really good value for money and has improved our lawn immeasurably since we got it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

What Dove said. image

We got the same one.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you very much everyone. Screwfix don't deliver but there's one in my nearest town and the Draper and Bosch ones are both over £100. I'm not expecting it to be as efficient as the commercial ones of course.  I no longer have an undergardener to help me put it together so it's quite important that it can be done by one person and although I'm only 27, I'm a bit feak and weeble. I seem to suffer from spoonerism problems too and a lack of clarity about my age ;) 

Thanks again :)

Last edited: 14 June 2017 18:52:03

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I'm pretty sure I had mine delivered. Phone them and ask just to be sure. 

Alternatively go into the shop and tell them you're  feak and weeble and maybe a nice man (or lady) will do it for you. image image image

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

I'd say, don't go as cheap as the £30 black and decker one.  I did - it was only a small lawn and it was ok, it chucked stuff up but the pathetic collection box fell off and was worse than useless.

I ended up running over the lawn with it, running over with the lawn mower to collect the moss, then repeating both several times.

Every bit of info helps eh?

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

It does indeed, thank you and I'll try chatting up the Screwfix people pp, you never know image

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 292

Just thought I'd add another thumbs up for the Titan one From screwfix. It's been one of the best things we've bought for the garden. Definitely worth the money. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Mine's Bosch  and does a good job, I got it second hand from ebay. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands