Plant supports

On Gardeners World programme a few weeks ago Monty made some plant supports using ?4mm steel rods. Has anyone tried this and if so, where did you purchase them. I am having trouble finding any. Thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

Yes.  A builders' merchant will stock them.  They are called re-bar and come in several thicknesses.  You want the 5 or 6mm size.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610

If you can get re-bar and bend them yourself then that's great.
    I couldn't find any locally and got some from ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Plant-Supports-and-Stakes-various-sizes-designs-6mm-mild-steel-from-1/162529031169

I got the big ones and they are doing an excellent job considering the winds we've had recently

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

i bought mine from Amazon a long while ago, the same place doesn't seem to have anymore, they were 6 mm, finer would be no good at all, I got them in 2.5mt lengths which was also not good at all, by the time you've made the circle the legs are only half mt long, so pushed in the ground they are much to short.

I would buy at least 3.5 mt lengths in future. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks Scroggin. With your information I have found a supplier. 

• TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

i had rebar from a local steel merchant and even though i lack any kind of upper body strength i had no problem bending them into shape!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

We use that rebar in our job, I wouldn't like to try and bend it. We saw it in lengths.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916
    Lyn says:

i bought mine from Amazon a long while ago, the same place doesn't seem to have anymore, they were 6 mm, finer would be no good at all, I got them in 2.5mt lengths which was also not good at all, by the time you've made the circle the legs are only half mt long, so pushed in the ground they are much to short.

See original post

Lyn, you must have made a huge circle with 2.5m long lengths if your legs were less than a half metre long each. That leaves a circle of about 1.5m which is just under 5 feet!!! I use 2 metre long lengths which are more than adequate. I even use 1.5 m ones for smaller growing perennials. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    hogweed says:
    Lyn says:

See original post

Lyn, you must have made a huge circle with 2.5m long lengths if your legs were less than a half metre long each. That leaves a circle of about 1.5m which is just under 5 feet!!! I use 2 metre long lengths which are more than adequate. I even use 1.5 m ones for smaller growing perennials. 

See original post

What is the diameter of a circle if the circumference is 5'? 

I have a big garden my plants are in very large clumps, it's very windy so the need to be pushed in the ground, 2.5 mts long rods were no good for me.

the ones you can buy, 50cm legs, by the time they are pushed in the ground it doesn't give you much height, that's less than 2' to start with.