Forum home Plants

Disease on choysia

Can anyone help I have white mould the size of grains of rice all over my mexican orange and two other shrubs, it only appears to be affecting the chosyia's only happened in the last week, they are smothered I had thought it was bird droppings from a hanging feeder but my neighbour pointed it out. I have tried to find what it is and the corse but to no avail please help

• Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

Hi  Gina . Sounds like bug larvae . Don't know which. My answer to everything like that is spraying with water with a drop of washing up liquid. I do this every day till they are gone.

Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • Thank you Ruby12 my thoughts exactly but Oh the horror my poor plant's Iv never seen this type before,, it's very powdery, what your thoughts, if any on using white vinegar to spray on them?

kindest regards Gina

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,290

Gina .... can you show us a photo please .... start with the camera icon .... if the photo doesn't upload try reducing the size .... that usually works 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025

When you say 'powdery' Gina -  do you mean it's like a powdery covering? Is the plant dry at the roots and in the surrounding soil? That could be powdery mildew, although Choisyas aren't normally troubled by that. What are the other shrubs affected?

It could also be whitefly/greenfly, in which case you can skoosh with the hose and rub them off. It could be caterpillar eggs of butterflies.

Please don't just spray when you things when you don't what the problem is. You can make everything worse. Can you upload a photo. Click on the camera icon top right and follow instructions. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

Hi Gina !  i really don't know about that. But if it powdery it could be  mould . More research needed.

can you bring up pics on computer of moulds and bug larvae.  Then you will have a better idea of what you are dealing with. Good luck?

Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • imageimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,290

That looks like an infestation of scale insects ... there are many sorts.  Info here

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/solve-problems/scale-insects/ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• So far the only shrubs affected are three different types of choysia in different parts of the garden everything else seems fine...and I have a lot of plants ? 

• Thank you everyone out there I've had a look at the section dovefromabove suggested and will make a salution of washing up liquid first to spray as so many fledglings around I have cut large chunks of shrub out and sprayed it with Jaye's in the compost ?