Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird ID requested

While walking my dog on the edges of a field of grain, I saw something sitting on the edge of the field.   It was about 9-12 inches high and what I saw appeared to be a white rotating head about my fist size.  Very fluffy and round.     I called my dog and put him on lead before he saw it and walked closer.   It appeared to have a round fluffy black and white face and wasn't moving, just turning its head.   I then noticed my dog was rolling in what was the remains of another bird...mostly grayish feathers...I would have assumed wood pigeon if it weren't for this other thing just standing there staring at it (heartbreakingly). I'm guessing it's young and therefore stupidly not moving even though I (and my staffie) were about 10 feet away.  I didn't get closer because I didn't want to hurt it and I have a pathological fear of birds...especially fledgling or injured or dead ones.  I've looked at pictures on RSPB and BTO and can't find it.   Not brown enough for owl.   Really all I saw was white fuzzy round face and some black somewhere, I think on head but I don't remember now.

Anyone have any ideas?   I'm in  Wiltshire.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952

It  sounds like a young Barn owl.

Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • WateryWatery Posts: 388

Owl-y face and head movements.  I think back of head was dark...black.   When I first saw it I thought possibly it was a rotating  camera or sprinkler or speaker (I don't know why I thought there would be one there.)   It didn't look like the pictures I saw of baby barn owls but I guess you're probably right.   Poor thing.   I don't think it will be long for the world. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348

My guess is that it was a young tawny owl which had previously been fed on birds hence feathers.  Some tawny owls are lighter than others, some are darker.

Info here http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/picking-up-a-live-owl/find-young-tawny-owl/ 

I understand your thing about birds, but am glad you were able to recognise that what you were seeing was a bit special.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Sorry, got distracted before posting and hadn't read other posts ........ my thought is that it's unlikely to be a young barn owl in open arable land ... more likely to be a tawny.  I've seen young tawnies who've fledged and spend a good while hunkered down in a hedgerow or thick undergrowth being attended by parents just as if they were in the nest.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's a chicken!  image  I knew I saw black and white.

We went back and it came straight for me.  Obviously a friendly chicken but I ran screaming. (DId I mention a pathological fear of birds?  Mostly from being in charge of our families chickens as a child.)  My husband brought it home and it's in our garden room until we find the owner and I will try to pretend it's not there.

I think I was so freaked out when I first saw it I couldn't remember what it looked like! 

Wow!  not an owl then image

Hope you find its owner soon 

My husband thinks it's hilarious. 

Nice to know he's a kind supportive soul image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

You do get a laugh on this forum!!! 

Well done for staying Watery. My friend's husband would have packed his bags by now. He's petrified of birds!

Well done too for having anything to do with it. That took a lot. image

• mollismollis Posts: 133

Oh I have had a laugh reading this thread. In a nice way.

Well done to you and I hope you find a home for the chicken. image