Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mini-meadow lawn ideas

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

I have given up any attempt at creating a 'bowling green' type lawn so have decided to go the other way and have a sort of mini-meadow lawn instead.

I still want to be able to mow the lawn during the summer but not quite so often.

Today I planted some daisies (Bellis perennis) in several spots in the grass.Now thinking of red or white clover (or both?),birdsfoot trefoil,thyme?.Basically looking for plants which don't mind being trodden on or mown occasionally.

Don't want any of the broad leafed 'weeds' like plantain or dandelions.

Does anyone else do this and what have you grown.

This is the area of my lawn.

Last edited: 11 June 2017 16:55:17

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Thymus Serpyllum good if in sun.   Chamomile Treneague (the no-flowering kind) is great.   May be hard to find but if you get some, it's easy to plant up the runners and get more or it will spread slowly.  Doesn't mind being mowed and smells lovely.  Slugs like it but don't seem to damage it....but you always know where to find your slugs!    I got a flowering lawn mix from Emorsgate but think it had plantains etc. in it.   I absolutely love speedwell but not sure you can buy it anywhere.    I've got something with tiny little yellow flowers.   Small dog's violets are gorgeous in a lawn as well.   

My lawn is actually really lush despite all the "weeds."   Only problem is the grass grows faster/higher than the flowers/clovers so looks uneven when not mown, but fine once mown.

Mine is looking very untidy because it needs a mow but you can see currently clover predominating, with daisies,  also the little yellow flowers, and a patch of chamomile partially mown but I missed part of it.  (Also it's got stuff growing through it.)   Yours need NOT look so untidy.    I'm just too lazy to mow it before photos today.  Sometimes I have more colours showing, including pink and blue and yellow (bird's foot trefoil).   Sadly I don't have any violets. 

imageimageimage

Last edited: 11 June 2017 17:48:24

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Thanks! Your lawn is lovely!

I think Thyme would do well on the kerbside part of the lawn as it is in sun most of the day.

We had a lawn near me that had violets in it and looked lovely in the spring so that's another plant I had not thought of.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294

You can come and remove the ahem wild flowers from my borders they sound like just what you are looking for.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,289

I haven't planted anything in mine, I just get what comes up. In various parts of the garden grass I have daisies (lots!), creeping buttercup, red and white clover, self heal, heath bedstraw, pignut, lady's smock,  celandine, a little dwarf wild alchemilla, speedwell, occasional violets and selfsown forgetmenots.The grass often gets left unmown because there is too much to do in one go and rain often means it can't be done as frequently as it should be.

There are also less desirable things like hogweed. ground elder and docks, but they don't take quite so kindly to being mown and I do remove big ones as well as thistle, nettles and rosettes like plantain and dandelion where they are unsightly.

Have spent 3 solid years trying to get a wildflower meadow round my apple and pear trees!

Is it a success or are you still trying? image

I have today ordered some wild creeping thyme,birdsfoot trefoil and red clover.later I might try to grow some English bluebells.

Anything is worth a try,that's the beauty of gardening!!

Firstly bought wildflower per plugs blooming expensive and scoffed by slugs, following year seeds, no good, 2 years ago, I dug off a piece of turf by hand nearly killed me, just enough to buy one piece of wildflower turf, expensive £30 plus delivery, last year I did the same and treated myself to the border stuff which has no grass just wildflower,  it looks great now.  So we have a mini orchard at the bottom of our garden, fruit trees each side of the path, on the left is the grandkids playhouse, and seats and table so on the right, we hired a turf cutter last month.  Wanted 14 sq mt, so wasnt going to the last place far too expensive, searched wildflower turf suppliers, there arent that many, a lot  had a minimum purchase far more than I needed, they said couldnt I share it with my neighbours! They wouldnt be interested, and wy would I want to pay for so much.  Then decided on one place that does 100% wildflower, because the first piece I bought 20% grass 80% grass the grass wants to take over, tried the yellow rattle none germinated.  Some were 50-50, didnt want that.  Nearest place supplied is 150 mile round trip checked up on the weight, wont go in my estate, would mean paying to hire a flatbed bumped the cost up hugely. So decied to get it from the supplier direct in Lincoln, BUT lady I spoke to said because March,April, were so dry then torrential rain in May, no cutting, (none of the other places are cutting either) So I sowed wildflower seed on one area, chicken wire round to keep dogs and grandkids off, have been watering it, a few seedlings poppping up, but hoping to get the turf this month and continue, have left "grass path" through it.

I am getting my plugs from this company:-

https://www.naturescape.co.uk

Will let you all know what I get when they arrive!

Had a look madpenguin but at even £1 per plug it would cost an absolute fortune to cover 14sm, how big an area are you doing?