Forum home Problem solving

Rhododendron wilted/died?

A few months ago we bought a new rhododendron, planted it in the garden (mixing in lots of suitable compost) and it flowered beautifully...at first.  After about 2 weeks it just seemed to wilt.

I have since taken it up and planted it a large container filled with suitable soil and compost in the hope that it would pick back up but it has made no difference at all.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Could you put a photo up please? Really helps 

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025

We had a lot of cold, dry, hot, cold  weather, all in a hit and miss way this spring all over the country, which affected a lot of plants. Newly planted specimens often struggle more as they are frequently grown under more protected conditions. It could have been affected by that chopping and changing of climate, especially if it was a young or small plant.

Alternatively, if it was a bit pot bound and not thoroughly watered, or the roots teased out alittle on planting, that could have affected the growth.

As LilyPilly says though - a pic will help enormously image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I'm sorry, I'm trying to add a photo but it won't seem to work (I'm not ver good at technical stuff).

• Any ideas?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,627

The leaves look extremely big for a plant like that. Do you have the type of Rhododendron? Did you ever water it when it was planted in the ground? 

Last edited: 12 June 2017 14:03:22

• I don't know what type of Rhododendron it is and it was watered every few days, as well as getting rainfall.

Last edited: 12 June 2017 14:27:22

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,627

There is normally too much water or not enough, but looking at the way the leaves are drooping, it looks like the roots have either rotted or did not make contact properly with the soil planted around it. 

Carry on with what you are doing, but resist watering little and often at the moment. Only water if it is very obvious it is dry. Let us know how you get on.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I know its young, but possibly Phytophtora infection?

did you have a look at the roots when you lifted it? did they look healthy or were they a bit rotten looking?

• The roots looked fine when I took it up, but I probably wouldn't know the difference.