First time gardeners; a few questions.

Hello,

My wife and I are new to gardening; this is the first time we've had a place with a garden in fact. We bought a selection of plants (I won't list them as I'm sure you all recognise them) and are just looking for some ideas on how we could improve or even if we've gone about it the right way. 

The upside-down plant pot is where some bees have nested and we wanted to ensure they were safe and undisturbed but also surround them with bee friendly flowers.

There are other areas of the garden we can work with, though it is really quite small. What is the best way to look after what we have here and have we spread the plants out enough? My real concern was that we may not have used enough compost.

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

Last edited: 11 June 2017 14:26:28

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,957

HI and welcome to the forum.image

We may well recognise all the plants you have, but I can't see them closely enough to tell what they are! Apart from the foxglove at the back  image

A list would be really helpful, or some close ups  image

If they're all perennials, you might want to consider some structural plants for all year interest, but it depends what you have elsewhere in your garden, and what sort of style and effect you want to create. You could also have some climbers on the fence and wall.

Spring bulbs, and also summer bulbs are a useful way to get height and colour without taking up too much room. The spring ones are also useful for the areas where perennials are, as the emerging foliage of those will disguise bulb foliage while it dies down. Spring bulbs are also highly beneficial as an early source of nectar for the bees. Lovely that you have some nesting there too image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

You've got a wall and a fence too so you could grow something a bit more permanent against those like small shrubs or a climber like honeysuckle to give a background.
    If it's a sunny spot and you want low maintenance, then maybe some grasses and gaura and achillea - they will look after themselves once settled in .
    I saw some Stipa Tenuissima grasses blowing in the wind at a garden centre the other day and fell in love with them, they look great and don't need much attention. Plenty of taller ones too and they look good all through winter too
    If you're looking for something more lush then add lots of compost or rotted farmyard manure in the autumn and have a look for some hardy perennials that you like the look of.
    As fg says above lots of bulbs you can plant in the autumn like daffodils, crocus, tulips and snowdrops in groups for lots of spring colour. Bulbs like lily's too for summer.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,968

Hi Jemily - I can't quite make out all of the plants - if they are bedding annuals then they will only last this Summer. You can pack more in if so. If any are perennials then they will likely increase in size next year. 

I agree with Fairygirl and Pete8 that climbers would look good - they will draw your eye and green-up the space whilst the other plants are filling-out. 

Bee-friendly plants and flowers as a theme is excellent. It looks like a sunny spot so ideal for pretty nectar-rich flowers. 

Last edited: 11 June 2017 21:29:34

My garden and I live in South Wales.