Forum home Fruit & veg

strawberries

Help, does anybody know what is eating my strawberries they are being taken from the plants small,large,ripe and white ones.  I have found them in little heaps under my broad beans which are in the next bed. Is  it mice rats voles or what? Thank you.

• Pixies

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098

Usually slugs here - or the magpies. 

Is it just the remains left behind, or do you mean there are fruits lying on the ground?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BUBBLES2BUBBLES2 Posts: 23

Hi Fairygirl

No most of the fruit is uneaten, i counted 15 in one heap small medium  and large and there were 4 heaps i saw this afternoon most of the fruit is unripe

Mice?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Mice do behave like that.  I once had one which nipped the tops off of my tomato seedlings and put them in a neat pile at the side.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

How very tidy and considerate of him Bob - or  perhaps he was preparing the rest of his salad! image

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

I am having the same problem,four separate rows of plants all the fruits taken and placed in heaps.

I have started with mouse traps, one mouse in each trap since I started using them,lord knows how many there are?

Have not had any to eat ourselves so far because of them!

Last edited: 10 June 2017 23:01:53

• BUBBLES2BUBBLES2 Posts: 23

Hi all,  Jimmy i had better get the traps out but like you have had no fruit to eat at home.

Next year they all be like my neighbour on the allotment, he has a horse with troughs either side and one on top, and no trouble.

thank you all so much

• marcus.millimetremarcus.millimetre WhyteleafPosts: 14
    your lucky, I found my strawberry pot which has 5 plants in it with all the strawberries eaten off, I am sure its this cat that I see eat 1 before