First compost heap - how does this sound?

Hi all,

I've just taken on an allotment, and one of my first jobs is to build a compost heap. As you're the experts, how does this sound for the design of the heap itself?

I'm planning on clearing an area of weeds and using's an old baby's cot for the main frame.

I'm going to lay some chicken wire between the cot and the ground, and wrap the cot in wire too to stop the rats getting in.

Is there anything I've missed which could help?

Cheers

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

You could use a builders bag on the inside to stop the bits falling out through the chickenwire.  A piece of old carpet or compost bags filled with something insulating to go on top to keep the heat in.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,750

Can you build it in solid wood planks, it needs to get hot, we make a cubic metre every two months, in solid wood boxes with thick carpet on the top, tuned every week at the start, then transferred into another, then start again. You need a few containers if you want  to make a lot So when the first is full you can upturn it to the next and so on.

Those big blue containers are good for storage after it's gone right down in the wood ones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.