Now what...?

Yesterday whilst clearing the bit I cleared last year (it grew back) we discovered a great big tree stump surrounded by huge stones (my strim chum feared it might be a burial mound!!!!). In, around and underneath the stump is a warren of holes and tunnels. Big ones. Arm sized ones.

Before you start. We don't have moles, voles or snakes because this is Norn Iron and we're civilised.

Is it more likely to be rats or rabbits? How would I know which? 

We also kept finding little patches of grass seed husks. Might this be a sign of wee field mice? We thought it was either birds or mice but birds aren't that tidy....we think.

Strimming ceased because 1. we didn't want to kill anyone's children and 2. we'd footered about that long that the rain came on.

Who made the tunnels and when can we let loose the strimmer without risking the mouse population?

Thanks.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,064

Mystery holes around a burial mound pp image.  I was thinking it could be Mary image....silly me, she's over by the stinky bank image.

Easiest way to ID the culprit would be finding it's ? if it's rabbit or rat.  

Maybe not so easy in heavy rain tho image.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Oh Kitty of the marvellous memory. I did suggest it might be Mary!!!!!! image image She's not on the stinky bank she's under the rose garden but I don't know where that was. I thought we might have found it! image

No trace of any poo but a couple of years ago two young rabbits jumped out onto the bandstand, ligged about for a few minutes and then set off in opposite directions from each other. I've never seen any since. (They didn't appear to have much sense image).

I'm thinking (hoping) rabbits because I wouldn't imagine rat runs would be this big. I want to fill them in but I don't want to build toooombs! image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,064

Could be rabbits then pp image.  I know nothing about the habit's of wild rabbits image only ever had one in a hutch.

I wonder how long they inhabit a warren for?  They could still be living there two years later.....under the radar.

The image of frisky young rabbits dancing on the bandstand made me chuckle image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Made me laugh too when I saw them. They were completely gormless! Obs young teens. image