Forum home Plants

Rose Litchfield Angel

has any one else found this rose grows very vigorously.  With its multi heads of heavy petaled blooms it all seems too much for its weak stems. Should it be grown as a climber?  I look forward to any comment.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,274

David Austin's website says

GROWTH HABIT

‘Lichfield Angel’ will form a vigorous, rounded shrub which, with its blooms nodding attractively on the branch, will make a fine sight. It is very useful in a border, as it harmonises well with all other colours and will act as an intermediary between pinks and yellows. Position towards the middle of the border.

http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/lichfield-angel 

Perhaps it works better when it's grown into a larger shrub after a few years?  I've found this to be the case with quite a few David Austin shrub roses. 

Last edited: 06 June 2017 17:55:05

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Many of David Austin roses are bred in a way to nod. Tends to face to where the sun is, which makes his roses more easily admired from the side rather than looking down. After a heavy rain fall they will droop. If it's listed as a 'large' flower, it will probably be very heavy. Not everyone likes it to droop so much but unfortunately, if the flower is huge, it will drop downwards. Something to consider when purchasing 'large' flowered roses.

I wouldn't try to lean it and force it to climb. Maybe, cut some of the stems back during the growing season to avoid overly long stems which tend to bow down as the flowers start to bloom. By doing this, it will be keep the shape more shrubbier and help new stems not to arch too much. 

• I am having the same issue. My Lichfield Angel is sending out LONG stems close to 4’ long and they seem to be growing out sideways, not up.  I just double checked what I bought because perhaps I accidentally purchased a long-stemmed rose bush or a climber. Nope, it said shrub. But the minute the stems produce a flower, they dragged right down to the ground by the weight. I have bamboo rods holding up almost all the branches at this point. Hoping this is a year 1 growing problem and once I cut them back next year, they will fill in. But any advice you guys have would be awesome.