Dye to prevent duckweed and algae

What is the Dye that Nick Bailey used to prevent Algae and Duckweed in his pond on Gardeners' World 2017 - Episode 11 (Jun 2, 2017)? where can i purchase this?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,739

this was asked a few days ago, but I don't recall anyone coming up with an answer. Good luck this time.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I thought this might be a solution to one of my many pond problems but it raises more questions than it answers.

I've checked out the website (thanks you firefly0) and the principle of the process seems to be the disruption of photosynthesis in submerged plants. What about the submerged oxygenators? presumably they will be affected equally.

Like insecticides and weedkillers it seems to me to be rather unselective and therefore I would proceed with caution if at all.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,271

If you get the right amount of plants in the pond the water will be perfectly clear no need to buy stuff.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,754

I agree Lyn ... our small pond has a bit of duckweed and the occasional bit of blanket weed in the spring, which we occasionally remove by hand, but most of the time the water is kept beautifully clear by the oxygenating plants and lots of pond snails who munch on the algae, blanketweed and duckweed.

Before the colony of pond snails had established itself we used Blagdon's Barley Straw Extract occasionally to deal with blanket weed ... it was very successful and perfectly natural and didn't harm the frogs, toads, newts, grass snakes and many invertebrates who use our pond.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

When I moved here I was astonished at the number of pond snails I had. I haven't seen any recently and now I have blanketweed. image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,754

We started our pond snail colony by buying some online (from a reputable supplier as I didn't want to introduce any problems to the pond)  ... however I wouldn't do that until I'd discovered why your existing colony seems to have disappeared.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I have absolutely no idea.why Dove. There were squillions but I haven't treated the pond with anything and there are still loads of froglets and fresh water shrimp. It's jiving but just not with snails.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,890

I guess the interest rose because Gardeners' World recommended the dye on Friday's show.