Forum home Plants

Brooklime and Water forget me nots

AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

I bought both Brooklime and Water forget me nots for the pond.  It had been my intention to choose which did best and get rid of the other.  Since both are loved by the insects I can't bring myself to discard one or t'other quite yet.

Anyway, I note that both are described as rafting, which is now clear to me by the way they grow and produce roots. They are all still in the little basket pots which they came in but I really don't like to see them when the water level drops a bit.  

Would it be advisable to put a few rooted stems into the gravel.  Would they grow or perhaps just do 'too well' and be harder to remove in future.

Again, thanks in advance.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

Hi Angie, I have both in my pond and have found brooklime to be the more vigorous to the point of invasive. My pond is about 2.5 metres x 2 and the brooklime had no trouble covering the whole surface, since then I've had to haul out big clumps.

Both can be rooted in gravel as the plants will take nutrients from the water and decaying matter trapped in the gravel. Also they pull free relatively easily if you need to reign them in. Water forget-me-not is better behaved, another good plant is lesser spearwort with it's buttercup-like flowers.

Your pond looks lovely image

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

I've only just discovered I forgot to respond to your comment Fishy65, please accept my apologies.  I have been moving some ofthe brooklime around so to create some surface cover.  I am currently fighting a battle (not a losing one I hope) with algae!