Grass Snake - 1st of 2017

Caught sight of my resident Grass snake 2 days ago having a sunbath.  Took me by surprise as I was really looking out for the Slow worms.  By the time I'd gawped and said "Hello" and run in to get my camera, he/she had slithered off into the undergrowth.

Only a couple of weeks ago, I spotted 2 juvenile snakes - one in the pond and the other just entering it.

I'd thought it a wee bit early but we have had a long spell of hot and dry weather.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

I haven't seen one yet, can't remember if the last I saw was last year or the year before. It's a very 'poison-heavy' agricultural area and it must be in the food chainimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,189

You can share "my" snake Nutcutlet - I'd like to say he/she was admiring the Aquilegias but  in fact was nowhere near themimage

Actually, I was quite surprised to see it in this particular location as it usually sticks to the full south side..  I've moved a few things about tho since last year so easy access to south stone wall and pond.

Good tho eh ?image

very good Philippa. image

and I'd love to share your snake, thank you

Scroggin.........hmph..........thought mine was the first this year...........obviously need to borrow your collie dogimage

Makes your day tho doesn't it ?image

Divided 50/50 Nutcutletimage  

image thanks Philippa

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,052

I thought we'd have lots of grass snakes here but none seen so far.  We do, however, have western whip snakes - identified by Scroggin and Floralies.  OH spotted a pair canoodling the other day in the warmth.  I bet they're tucked up again today as it's barely got to 20C at the warmest point.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Not quite sure where in France you are Obelix but the Western Whip snakes were quite prevelent when I lived in the Midi Pyr.

Another creature I thoroughly enjoyed watching was the Marbled Newt  ( T marmoratus ) - bred happily in my large pond. 

Scroggin - I'll forgive youimage

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,426

I wonder if St. Patrick really did rid us of snakes, I've never seen or heard of anyone who has seen one here.  I saw my first newt about 7 years ago when my son brought one home from the swampy area near us. image

Last edited: 06 June 2017 07:29:11