Forum home Plants

Plant ID

a1154a1154 Posts: 1,106

In a dry slopey area normally dominated by foxgloves, then poppies, i have a lot of these plants self seeding. 

They are huge, yellow flower, not out yet but will only be a few days. Cant say i like them much. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874

I think I can see some willow herb - but willowherb isn't yellow image

Last edited: 05 June 2017 14:55:58

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Evening primrose?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530

Huge flowers, or huge plants?  Tall spikes of numerous yellow flowers could be verbascum, but that has fuzzy grey leaves, not like what's in the photo.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,106

Yknow i think it might be evening primrose. I have a shrubby one, its not that. Flowers soon.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

It looks like evening primrose to me. If it helps, I always have to check to make sure I'm digging out dandelions and not that. I find the young plants quite similar.

Do you like it then pp? I normally like good doers, but im thinking of getting rid. I do have lots though.

So are both these evening primrose? They have a likeness, but one is a huge plant that branches out, and the other seems to be flowers on single stems.

Any help on whether these are both EP ? Or do I gave one EP and lots of huge weeds. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

They both look like evening primrose - there are several types and about 4 of those are common in the UK.  I grew 'lemon sunset' from seed about 30 years ago which is one of the better forms and still have self-seeded ones from those pop-up randomly.

Last edited: 01 July 2017 09:45:01

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.