First time allotmenter
So I’ve just taken the plunge… I contacted the council expecting the waiting list to be years long, but I managed to get a plot straight away! Viewed it yesterday and should be getting the keys by the end of the week.
It’s pretty overgrown (see photo), but there’s a shed at the back, and a few raised beds already in place which I’m hoping to salvage.
I know next to nothing about gardening, so the whole thing’s going to be one huge learning curve, but I’m really looking forward to it.
I’d love to hear any tips people have for first-timers like me. At the moment, my plan of action is:
• Assess the shed, and clear out anything worthless left by the previous owner
• Clear a path to the shed
• De-weed one of the raised beds so I can get something growing
• Get a compost heap going I’m planning on fashioning one out of old bits of wood/pallets
• De-weed the rest of the site
• Get the rest of the beds going
• Put some fences up
• Sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labour (hopefully)
I realize this is probably going to take well over a year, but I’m up for the fight!
Last edited: 05 June 2017 13:58:29