Shrubs and bushes for birds

hi everyone,

I would like to plant some nice shrubs and bushes and would love some suggesti

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 202

Well, as I put on a tin helmet, I think walls and fences covered in ivy and Hydrangea x petiolaris 
    are wildlife havens. They can accommodate several neighbouring nests for different species at different nesting heights, provide night roosts all year round, offer nectar early in the season and shelter countless invertebrates. Butterflies, moths and spiders particularly.

(English Heritage & The National Trust funded research showed that unless the mortar is already degraded the ivy prevents fluctuations from baking sun to rapid drops in night temperatures, wind and rain erosion and air pollutiion. Ivy is even shown to be a protecting factor in towns and cities where car exhaust emissions are high).

MLx

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,942

So - an advert then Angie?  image

Anything that produces berries is great for birds, markos, so that's always a good start, from common old Cotoneaster to things like Amelanchier and Pyracantha. They also like Mahonia berries. Rowans  ( Sorbus, Mountain Ash not Whitebeam) if you have room for a little tree. image

Also - almost any shrub will be useful to give them cover, especially near bird feeders. I have Philadelphus near mine, as well as Osmanthus burkwoodii. Sarcococca (winter box) is also useful.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Pyracantha 100%, flowers for the bees & berries for the birds in autumn. Nice colour & a good security plant too. Will stop cats from interfering with nest sites as very spikey. 

Last edited: 09 June 2017 16:18:30

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

All of the above suggestions are good. If you have room for a silv birch, plant one. The invertebrate life will in turn attract birds. Other suggestions are blackthorn, holly and crab apple. I am particularly favourable to old ivy. If allowed to flower it produces berries in winter when there isn't much food around, particularly valuable during very cold periods.