Forum home Garden design

Ideas for screening on fence

imageimage

I have a wooden fence between my lovely neighbours and my garden. I would like to give them and me a little privacy, but not block them completely. They are great but we dont have a lot of privacy. 

I planted clematis in pots, miss Bateman, rebecca and guiding promise. 

However the first two are leggy and have just finished flowering. The small one guiding promise is more a rambling clematis and isn't really growing high. 

Im thinking of taking them all out and putting in a more effective cover. 

My current ideas are either two pyracanthus, or maybe clematis Montana or passionflower. My local garden centre tells me passionflower is like a weed and I'll never get it out if I plant it, but surely not if I put it in pots?

clematis Montana would grow better I think. And would put on a long show of flowers.

Do I need better trellis maybe to help the climbers spread out more?

i hear pyracanthus is good for wildlife?

another plant I like is star jasmine. Again my local nursery tells me it is very difficult to grow. They suggested the potato plant. 

Has as anyone any advice? I'd love a nice green cover over the fence, something that offers some privacy.... but won't take over the garden completely. 

Thanks in advance everyone.

i include pictures so you can gaze at my terrible gardening skills. Gardening is a constant trial of learning what works and what doesn't. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,677

To some extent your nursery is right, but again, it's all about how much you want to garden. For instance, the Montana will quickly cover the area, but how far do you need it to cover? If you are not checking, this plant reaches the top of your fence in a tangle and by that time you have not watched it grow, it's just sitting on the tops of your fence rather than decorating a wall. This applies to Passion flower. Judging from your pictures, they fence doesn't look too high and the spacings seem quite narrow. But, if it's expecting to cover a wider area, then it might work.

The other thing to consider is planting in pots. This will slow the growth, but if it's a Pyracantha a much more slower growing plant, are you prepared to wait 2-3 years and a lot of training and pruning to get it to grow against a wall? Plus this type of plant will do better if planted into the ground.

It's all about how much gardening and what you like. 

Star Jasmine gets my vote because it can cover and it's well behaved if you prune it to shape early.

• Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

Hi!

Over time ihave used a lot of climbers. There are three that I find works for me. Ornamental hops :A vigorous grower needs plenty of trellis. Has beautiful hanging hops late in the season . The mile a minute plant . Lots of people find this a nuisance because it grows so fast . Ilove it it has covered many a messy area that I haven't got round to sorting.:  Climbing hydrangea : This is a slow grower  but tough. I have this between me and my neighbour. Oh and I forgot my favourite : standard lavateria.this grows vigorously blooms on Long stems covers a surprising area as it fans out . May needs tying up if it grows very tall . Cut back later inthe year .very pretty..

good luck.

Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

IMO your climbers will always struggle in pots.  Most climbers are more suited to growing in the ground.  I wonder, are you able to remove one of those pavers and allow a climber to get it's feet down into the ground.  You will find you will have a far healthier plant and one that will do the exact job you want it too rather than 2 or 3 struggling in the pots.  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

I'd agree with Angie. Pots are no good for what you need, unless they're really substantial. A montana, or the  petiolaris hydrangea, for instance, will never succeed in pots- they need room down below to sustain what grows above. Some clematis will thrive if given optimum conditions and time, but they can take several years to reach maturity. They also need tying in horizontally or they'll just grow upwards. The viticellas will cover well, but it takes several years to achieve full size and coverage. 

It also depends where you live. Many plants like jasmine will only grow in a warmer location.

If you can only use pots/containers, get something two or three times the size of the ones you have. No plant is instantly going to cover a fence - it takes several years. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

When you say you want privacy, do you mean you don't want next door to look at you through the gaps in the fence or do you mean you don't want them to see you over the fence or you don't want them to look down on you from their upstairs windows???

Depending on which it is, there will be different solutions. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

Hi Jesse!

Having read all the above posts,I am in agreement with the friends who thought that planting inthe ground is best. Pots are useful but very limiting.

Occasional flights into reality. B)