Pond Treatment use by nick bailey

Does anybody know the pond treatment used by nick bailey in gardeners world episode 11?

• Sheila266Sheila266 Posts: 1

I would also love to know ?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,502

a quick google comes up with this - 

https://www.dyofix.co.uk/

I'm not sure what effect it may have on oxygenators etc that are undwewater

Last edited: 04 June 2017 08:34:16

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I use a product called Cloverleaf and have done for about 20yrs.

afaik, it's basically diatomaceous earth and which covers algae and prevents sunlight getting to it. The pond looks like milk for the 1st 24hrs then clear in a few days.
    I dosed my pond in March and the water is crystal clear, no blanket weed whatsoever and I can see the bottom of the pond at 30"
    I do get clumps of moss-like stuff growing on the pipework and slate waterfall but I just net them out every few weeks when I see them - takes 5 mins

Photo taken just now

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,286
    Pete8 says:

I use a product called Cloverleaf and have done for about 20yrs.

afaik, it's basically diatomaceous earth and which covers algae and prevents sunlight getting to it. The pond looks like milk for the 1st 24hrs then clear in a few days.
    I dosed my pond in March and the water is crystal clear, no blanket weed whatsoever and I can see the bottom of the pond at 30"
    I do get clumps of moss-like stuff growing on the pipework and slate waterfall but I just net them out every few weeks when I see them - takes 5 mins

Photo taken just now

image See original post

That's not what was being used on GW.  It was referred to as a blue dye which prevents light penetration.  I would have the same concerns as others have expressed, although it may be a case that it prevents certain wavelengths of light getting through.  Slightly off-topic, but reference was made to the pond overflowing, but as it's under tree canopy I can't imagine that happening very often.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Worrying that anyone might want to 'treat' a pond. 'Treat' always means chemicals and ponds are full of life. or maybe that should read 'were full of life'

KT53 says:
     That's not what was being used on GW.  It was referred to as a blue dye which prevents light penetration.
    See original post

I covered that in the 1st post

Last edited: 04 June 2017 20:39:30

• GuybrushGuybrush Posts: 176

I've used barley straw in a pair of tights in the past. I can't say if it worked as I didn't have a problem in the first place. It was more of a safeguard. Worth trying and it's totally organic.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,462

THAT MUST HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY ITCHY I SHOULD IMAGINE. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

PANSY!!!!

Bwahahaha.....

I take it it's raining at yours! image