Sparrows and Tree Bees!

Hi,

we have recently moved in to a beautiful cottage that needs a bit of TLC...including the iron guttering and slate roof tiles.

We currently have sparrows (who still seem to be very....busy? the male is more enthusiastic about this than the female!!!).  We also have what I think are tree bees.  We have no desire at all to evict either species, however, I would like to not have a leaky roof by the winter or be responsible for a passerby getting severe concussion because a bit of my iron guttering fell on their head.

I'm going to ask a couple of roofing companies to come and give us a quote next week but I don't want to book the work in until after I'm sure the sparrows and tree bees have vacated the premises.  Would the first few weeks in September be a safe bet? Might the last two weeks in August be ok?

Any help appreciated!!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,219

HELLO, LUCKY YOU TO BE ABLE TO PIN A BUILDER DOWN TO BOTH COME AND QUOTE AND TO TURN UP TO START WORK ANYTIME BEFORE 2019.image

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT TREE BUMBLEBEES.

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Bee_Craft_May_2013,_Bombus_hypnorum.pdf

IF YOU HAVE THE CHOICE, I WOULD GO FOR SEPTMBER. THE SPARROWS WILL BE FLEDGED BY THEN TOO.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • gwengwen Posts: 3

Hahaha, they've said they'll turn up - whether they do or not remains to be seen!

Thank you for the information, I'll wait until September and cross fingers for no hurricane Bertha between now and then image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Waiting until September will be good for the House Sparrows. While doing the work, you could put up a sparrow terrace type nest box to encourage them to stick around and nest next year.

• ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

We have tree bees in our loft for the first time this year.  We have been told they will vacate at the end of the summer.  If you can get your builders for later on the year before the winter (September/October) all should be well.  Good luck. 

• gwengwen Posts: 3

Thanks everyone image 

Redwing - I'll get the father in law on the case, if he builds it the box will be standing long after the house image