Forum home Wildlife gardening

Astrantia

...I have no Bees which are using this plant. This is the prerequisite to the plant being there. I have Bees on my Atropurpureum and Geraniums but nothing is visiting Astrantia. I have seen them on Asrantia flowers later in the year in a friends garden. Do they come in later for the Bees?

Ta 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

What colour are they? Different types of bee prefer certain flowers more than others. Blues & purples are more desirable. 

Last edited: 31 May 2017 21:56:43

• motorman1motorman1 Posts: 42

Hoping there's a couple of photos here. 

I got a maroon and white Astrantia. ?

imageimage  Ahhh..there we go :)

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

I have a white astrantria for a number of years, only split it into 3 plants this year, I have never noticed bees around or interested in it.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

If you want 2 plants that bees love here are pictures of them I have in my garden one is one of the catnip family the other is a ground cover 

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 299

Bees will not forage on some plants if there are others nearby which offer better pollen / nectar. Bumbles seem to forage on everything whereas honeybees are a little picky and go for the best on offer!

I think Astrantia is on the shopping list for bee friendly plants. Funny old thing ey! ?

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 299

When you have filled your garden with bee friendly flowers and then see them foraging on dandelions....well, ungrateful little beasts!

Spot on :D