Forum home Fruit & veg

Topping peppers

I'm looking for some advice about topping my pepper plants. ie. Should i do it? When should I do it? How tall should the plants be? I have bell pepper plants and scotch bonnet chili plants. Any advice gratefully received.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,053

I've never done it and have great crops.  I find peppers naturally branch and don't need any encouragment to do so.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

I've experimented with topping chilli's and I am trying it again this year on a few. My conclusion so far is that it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but I am still intrigued. That said don't be afraid to try it yourself. Peppers do respond well to pruning back so you wont kill the plant.

• DonatraltoDonatralto Posts: 18

What should be the final pot size and are they best grow in or outdoors?

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Move them up a pot size when you feel they have outgrown the one they are in. Peppers size are heavily impacted by how big their pot is. The chilli's that I grew and came out the best last year went into large pots with a diameter of around 8-12inchs. I find outdoors in direct sun or in a ventilated greenhouse. If indoors they need loads of sunlight and space.