Garlic ready to harvest?

I planted some Provence Wight garlic in the autumn. this is my first time growing garlic (and a beginner gardener generally) so I could use some help deciding if these are ready to harvest yet?  I noticed a few weeks ago that the tops are falling over.  Some of the lower leaves have gone yellow but they've been like that most of the winter. I noticed the soil had moved and you can see the bulb underneath. The size seems too small still, but I'm worried if I leave them too long I'll miss out.

Pictures attached - they've falling over more since.

Thanks!

• sandra255sandra255 Posts: 54

I harvested some garlic yesterday that looked at pretty much that stage of development.  It had been started off last October/Nov.  It wasn't really ready - I had to pull off lots of outer layers on the bulb before I finally got to something resembling a clove.  It was tasty enough though.  :)

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,704

Best left until the tops have gone brown and crispy. If they have split into cloves, those won't start growing again until the autumn so safe for another couple of months.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 300

I am completely new to garlic growing (I am trying it myself at present) but I am looking to take mine up in July as I have heard they should be ready by then. I dont think your leaves are yellow enough which is the main sign they are ready. Good luck!

• CitygirlCitygirl Posts: 23

Thank you all! That's very helpful.   Will wait :)