Forum home Plants

Elder Sambucca, Crinodendron and Bird of Paradise

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

At last I have some photos to show the plants at an open garden, which were new to us.imageimageimage

• Gosh! They are beautiful ?

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

We had seen the Bird of Paradise before, always grown in greenhouses over here but first two plants were new to me, and all had that WOW factor.

• FarendwomanFarendwoman Posts: 148

I have the Black Lace elder. Grows huge so I have to cut it down to about 8 inches in the Autumn(once the birds have had the berries!)

Sprouts up again beautifully in Spring - and it's really easy from cuttings.

One question though, can I make elderflower cordial from the flowers? And chutney from the berries?? ie is it edible like the common white one please?

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

8"!! My goodness, I had no idea that it grew so strongly in a year, it is lovely and I imagine a great attraction for the birds.  I wish I had pinched a cutting or two - I am sure the owners would not have noticed......

I wouldn't like to advise you on whether the berries are edible, perhaps google will tell you, or someone on here may have tried and survived to live another day, flowerlady.