Forum home Plants

Dahlias from cuttings

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Hi there - any dahlia experts out there?!

I have acquired some dahlias from cuttings. Some of them are still quite small. I'm puzzed - they seem to be just a plant with roots at the moment, Does anyone know at what point the tuber develops? Would it be this season after they go into the ground?

It's just that they are so small. One or two actually have buds. Do you think they will become big bushy plants as per tuber grown dahlias?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,687

They will develop tubers during the summer.

if they are small remove any flower buds present at the moment, to allow plants to bulk up.

I would keep cuttings in a pot during their first year, as this helps tuber formation.

Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Thank you Puncdoc. I thought I could put them in the ground. Where I got them from said put all in ground and they would all flower this year! But what you are saying makes much more sense.....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,687

They will probably flower this year, but are more likely to produce tubers if they are in pots.

By the end of the season, they might need quite large pots.

Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Hmm do you know why this is - why they produce tubers in the pots?

It's alright I don't mind leaving them if it's better for the plants but the patio has too many pots and I am trying to declutter it. I guess I could put some of them back into the grow house - a 4-tiered plastic covered thing. Patio gets more light but if not putting them in ground, I don't want them on the patio! Wish I hadn't got into all this dahlia malarkey!image