Forum home Plants

Geranium Mavis Simpson self seeding

Does the Geranium Mavis Simpson come true when it self seeds around the garden?

I have this Mavis Simpson in the flower border

Then further along the flower bed where I think it has self seeded the flower are deeper pink and star shaped

Does anyone else have a geranium like this?

• Shirley71Shirley71 Posts: 6

I do, it is very easy to divide have no idea what it is called though

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Geraniums are a promiscuous lot. image

Every time they seed something different comes up unless you only have one species and no others for miles.

Mavis isn't a species, she's a cultivated variety of a hybrid so she won't come true

• Thanks for the replies.

The geranium has also self seeded in the lawn in front of the flower bed. It will be interesting to see what flowers they have.

might get something very nice image

I quite like those star shaped ones

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

I have a similar question - I hope it is alright to post the question here? I have one geranium rozanne which I think might be this?

But there is all this beside it:

Close up of leaf

Do you think this is a geranium too? Or something else?

Geranium? 

Bumping this up - hope nobody minds. I should have perhaps posted my question as a separate post! If anyone can help, much appreciated.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,963

Creeping buttercup leaves I think.

I'm not sure your Mavis Simpson really is Mavis Simpson... looks like a G. x oxonianum variety to me, something like 'Wargrave Pink' although as Nut says, that group of Geraniums are variable and incestuous. Your star one looks a bit like G. x oxonianum 'Thurstonianum', which itself was a chance mutation which randomly occurred in a seedling.

yes, agree re the buttercup for the last pic. Apart from the leaves, if you look at the stems, that's buttercup not geranium.

Your Mavis Simpson may already have been a seedling of Mavis when you got her. There are many people selling plants who don't know (or maybe don't care) how it all works. I don't grow her so can't comment  whether or not true.

Creeping buttercup - how to get rid of it?Roundup or getting out with fork?