Forum home Plants

Puddling

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

I went to a plant sale yesterday where they suggested we puddle the new plants rather than watering them in their pots before planting.  This seems to entail digging the hole at the same depth as the plant pot but twice as wide, filling the hole with water, then after removing the new plant from it's pot, put it into the hole and back fill around the sides, but don't water it.  They suggest that you don't water the plant for at least a week or two, to allow the roots to establish.

Does anyone use this method?  Normally I follow the instructions on the new plant label, which is watering the plant in it's pot before removing it and planting it in a hole twice as deep and wide as the plant.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,634

I've often used this method GD depending on the plant and the local conditions at the time, it works well.  An old method I think ?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

Used to use it for veg plants. When I was a kid.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,182

I have always planted like this but never knew it was called puddling!! image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,684

I had heard the name, but didn't know what it meant.  Yes, it is an old method of gardening that was fazed out some time ago.  Perhaps my father used it, or maybe in the tomato growing industry of days gone by.  I will try to find out.