Forum home Plants

Hydrangea Vanilla Fraise

Valerie330Valerie330 Posts: 3

Hi

I bought a Hydrangea Vanilla Fraise about two years ago.  In all that time, it has never flowered.    Any ideas why?  I  feed it regularly.

Thanks

Last edited: 30 May 2017 13:16:04

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,771

Do you water it too?  They don't want to drown but they don't like to be thirsty so a moist soil is best.

They flower on new season's growth so, unlike mopheads, it's safe to cut them back to a low pair of buds every spring..  Have you been pruning at the wrong time or in the wrong way?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Valerie330Valerie330 Posts: 3

Hi 

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it is in a pot and I water it when it hasn't been raining.  I have never pruned it.   One thing, it probably doesn't get much sun, as I have it in a spot in the garden which probably only gets the sun late pm.  Could that be the reason it hasn't flowered?

Thanks

Rain is never enough for potted plants except in winter.   In active growth and flwoering periods they need regular water or they'll just focus their energy on staying alive, not flowering..  Hydrangeas also like some sun so try moving your pot to a sunnier spot and be kinder with the watering but, to be honest, it will be better off in the soil if you can plant it out and give it some moisture retentive compost when preparing the planting hole.

This is what the RHS says about this shrub - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/264574/Hydrangea-paniculata-Vanille-Fraise-Renhy-(PBR)/Details

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Valerie330Valerie330 Posts: 3

Hi there

Many thanks.   I will put it into the ground in a sunnier spot.  I was just worried about slugs, as in a pot, they have some protection from those pests, especially as I put copper tape round the pot.     But it is not much good leaving it where it is if it isn't going to flower.  Thanks again for your help.

None of my hydrangeas has ever been eaten by slugs and I have never been short of slugs.