Forum home Plants

How to import plants from France to Japan

Hiimage

I live in Japan and I want to import some plants from a French nursery. However, the shop owner says that he does not export any plants outside the EU. So, I'm looking for a agency which first buys the plants from the nursery and then export them to Japan.

No Japanese import agency offers this kind of service with plants, and I'm at a loss. They say they are not familiar with getting permission of CITES and phytosanitary certificate.

Does anyone know this kind of agency????

imageimageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,796

MAYBE YOU COULD CONTACT A BOTANICAL GARDEN AND ASK THEM HOW THEY DO IT?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,394

This may be a good place to start http://www.maff.go.jp/pps/j/introduction/english.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,652

I know  of nurseries in Britain that export growing plants to Japan...or use to do it.

It is a major headache/ problem.

To ensure that no pathogens are imported to Japan every tiny bit of soil has to be washed off before the plants can even be packed.It is very time comsuming. Then there is all the paper work. Not many are prepared to do it.

To bring  live plants into the UK is again extremely strict.

They have to be put into quarantine and inspected by the government people to make sure no horrible insects/diseases arrive on the plants.

In Britain Crug Farm are the only private nursery who have their own quarantine facilities.

I suspect that Botanic gardens world wide do not export the plants but exchange seeds which do not require such stringent conditions.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167

Most of us are in UK. I'd contact " the powers that be" in both France and Japan to find out their requirements / restrictions.

Devon.
  • Thank you so much for your kind replies image

It seems there are almost no ways to get live plants.

I decided to get the seeds and try seedlings.  

Thank you ?imageimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,394

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh