Forum home Plants

Hesperis taking over

EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

I like a wild, natural look to my garden. I have had Hesperis growing now for about 20 years but this year it has taken over. Two weeks ago the main colour was bluebells, the last of the tulips, honesty, columbine and Welsh poppies then one week of amazing weather and the Hesperis shot up, some now taller than me, and is absolutely dominating everything.  It is swamping the rest of the plants which are responding by growing taller themselves.  It feels like I'm shrinking.  I've never seen anything like it and clearly I need to remove lots of it but it looks and smells divine.  Is anyone else noticing the same thing?  What can I do to keep it smaller next year?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864

I think it is due to the mild winter. Next year it will probably die off altogether. Just enjoy. Pull it out when you've had enough of it.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FarendwomanFarendwoman Posts: 148

It looks absolutely beautiful!

envious!

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,553
    fidgetbones says:

I think it is due to the mild winter. Next year it will probably die off altogether. Just enjoy. Pull it out when you've had enough of it.

See original post

Or you could do what Dovefromabove does and sit on it image

I think this always happens - one year one plant will be loving the conditions and come out earlier so takes over, another it struggles to make an appearance at all. Especially with self seeders, I think. I have some Honesty in and amongst, some years it's everywhere, some it almost disappears. I assume it's to do with the weather when the seeds are dropping. 

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,614

tee hee ,, you beat me to it Raisingirl. I was going to suggest we send Dove round.image

Devon.
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

Not sure of the advantages of sitting on it but if Dove does it she must have a good reason. image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864

Dove will smack your bottom if you don't behave, Hosta.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,614

Moi? image

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,135

YOU COULD PURCHASE SOME STILTS AND THEN EVERYTHING IN THE GARDEN WOULD BE LOWER THAN YOU.

CAREFUL NOT TO USE THEM WHEN THE GROUND IS MUDDY THOUGH.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

What a happy bunch you are!   Thank you all for your input.

Pansyface, my OH is looking out spare wood to make me stilts as I write. image