Forum home Fruit & veg

Should I cut back my Blueberry bush?

I bought and planted a blueberry bush last November. It looked like a good, healthy small bush. Now, after the winter and new growth from spring, it looks a little bit leggy. There is a lot of fruit, but not many leaves compared with when I planted it. 

I have been reading about how you should cut off the new fruit shoots to encourage foliage, but mine already has lots of fruit that will ripen. 

What should I do, continue to let the fruit ripen, or cut back to encourage new growth. 

I have attached some photos - the one in daylight is when I planted it, and the nighttime one is today, late May. 

• Which variety is this? Only ask as you seem to have masses of berries on there! The ones I have require another plant as a pollination partner in order to produce fruit, or so I thought, which is why I grow 3 different varieties, Bluecrop, Herbert and Patriot. I have never pruned any of mine apart from taking off dead twigs, they are about 5 or 6 years old and fruiting well in large pots of ericaceous compost.

• hcsimmshcsimms Posts: 2

I do not know which variety this bush is, we chose it because it was a self-fertile variety. Wish I had kept the plant label!!

I do have lots of berries, but concerned there is not as much foliage. Do not want it to be even more leggy next year!

• I would just keep it well watered then, rain water not tap, and enjoy those berries image There is some info here about pruning which I've just read up - and learnt something I didn't know!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/blueberries

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,061

It's too young to need any pruning other than the removal of dead bits.  Once they are 5-7 years old, you can remove one or two of the oldest stems back to the base which will promote vigorous new shoots to come up.  Very old stems become less productive over time.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.