Forum home Problem solving

What has happened to me?

All,

I don't know what has happened to me!  Literally, in the space of a couple of months, I've gone from being a fairly stereotypical 37 year old (with interests in football, golf, an alcoholic beverage here and there, the occasional dose of 'how's your father', kids, family, etc.) to somebody who can't get enough of gardening. It's as if somebody has transplanted my personality with that of Alan Titchmarsh. My libido has been replaced with a libanotis. Kim Kardashian? No thanks, I'll take Charlie Dimmock. I go to bed picturing how my borders are going to look.  I spend the evenings browsing the websites of all the local nurseries. The wife thinks I've lost the plot (no pun intended) - she actually asked if I'd suffered a mild stroke!  Even now, as I type, I'm wondering whether to order the Camellia japonica 'Guilio Nuccio' AGM (will they grow in full sun?).  What is going on!!!??

Can somebody please re-assure me that:-

a) I'm normal?b) There's somebody reading this who's under 37?

c)  I'm normal?

Many thanks.

Last edited: 29 May 2017 20:08:38

• B3B3 Posts: 21,501

You're perfectly normal for this site.image

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

B3 can comment on normal.

I can assure you I'm in my very early 30s so it's not all grown ups on this site.

• B3B3 Posts: 21,501

I'm well under 37stone.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Neal8Neal8 Posts: 4

Certainly not normal.... perfect for gardening.  I mean Charlie Dimmock !!!    Go for Fatsia Japonica , sweet with very sexy glossy leaves and pretty robust. Mmmm 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,600

Actually, at 37 you're a late developer.   I got my first garden - and thus free rein - when I was 29.  Before that I'd played in my parents' garden and with window boxes in various flats.  

Gardening has been an essential part of my life for well over 30 years and if theer'd been an internet and a forum when I started I'd have been all over it looking up plants and chatting to like minded people.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurpleBirdPurpleBird Posts: 22

Don't worry I'm 33. I only discovered gardening a year ago (after buying our first house 2 years ago) and deciding that the garden really needed sorting. Now I am completely addicted!

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,475

Hi DFW! You will find like-minded, normal folk on here - many of which are 27 (as Pauline said) ?

Soon you will reach full 'normal' and this is signalled by: constant grubby hands, having several sets of 'gardening clothes', going out at night to pick slugs off plants, missing whole programmes or burning dinner due to forum-reading and saying out loud on Friday "oh great it's Gardener's World tonight". 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,303

You can be a gardener and still enjoy: a drink, football [ cricket, rugby too ], enjoy the site of a nicely turned ankle and even sometimes partake of other activities.

One of my favourite summer pastimes, is to sit in the garden, with a glass of something, having thoughts of an intellectual conversation with Demelza.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,404

Hmm, hubby likes Demelza but not sure he wants to talk to her!

That aside, I got into gardening when I got my first garden (or should that be house?).  I was approx mid twenties.

Geoff Hamilton was my hero.

I also like a drink and used to play netball.

Think that's covered it. image

You're not weird, this stuff is addictive.  Glad to have you aboard.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,453

I think I was 37 when I joined this site although I've been interested in plants a lot longer. I'm deffo not normal though, but who wants to be normal?!