Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ravens

2»

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I've had to give up feeding birds because of the rooks. They seem to figure out every thing I do to prevent them, including just lifting the feeder and pouring it out.    I had a feeder hanging on a washing line with only small perches and they still did this.   Oddly they didn't come around until this year and I've lived here for 4 years.

One particular one (I assume it's the same one) daily brings a hunk of bread it gets from somewhere else and dunks it in my birdbath to soften it.   I live in a residential rural neighbourhood with 2 rivers nearby, many ponds and lots of neighbours who have birdbaths.  Don't know why this rook likes mine (which is just a ceramic dish on stump.)  

Had to laugh the other day when I put out some mealworms for the blackbirds (cause I hadn't seen any rooks for awhile) and decided to moisten them.  One rook came and tried to get them out of the shallow dish and when he discovered the mealworms just floating, s/he jumped back.

They are clever, but they are also loud, scary-looking and flock in great numbers and I just can't afford to feed them (although I do try to feed the little birds.)  I feel like if I got a feeder in a squirrel cage, the rooks would just get together and lift and shake it.  

I've tried to teach my dog to chase them away and when I say "crow" he gets all excited and starts barking but he has no idea what we are aiming for.  Besides, he'd rather look out the front window at people passing than the birds in the back window.

• MarranMarran Posts: 171

We're in Glos and there are Ravens inhabiting the huge scots pines in the Churchyard next door ...  Yes -  they are huge and make a noise that sounds like "cronk"!  

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,268

This is a raven. The rocks next to him are about football sized

Even at this distance (approx 300 metres) you can see him

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...