Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ravens

Our bird table is being frequently visited by Ravens who slide down the metal hooks and lift off the feeders.

Once on the floor they clear out the feeders pretty quickly, upto 8 to 10 visit the feeder at one time chasing off the sparrows and starlings

Has anyone else experienced this and if so any ideas how to keep them off?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,521

I am trying hard to visualise the hooks the ravens slide down. Is it not possible to fix the feeders more firmly to the hooks so that they cannot be lifted off? What about trying a squirrel baffle?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282

Are you sure they're ravens?  Whereabouts are you?  Ravens are massive and usually only in wild upland places.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/raven.htm 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Snap! MU image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297

Ravens are carrion eaters. What do you put in your feeders?image

If they come in gangs, more likely to be rooks or jackdaws which do eat seed.

The only sure way to stop them is to put the feeders inside wire mesh cages so they cannot gain access. The mesh needs to be small enough to keep them out and large enough to let the little birds get in. They will soon find out how and be able to feed safely and the big guys will find it more worthwhile to go elsewhere.

LOL MU 

• StillLearningStillLearning Posts: 261

Hi the idea of squirrel baffles maybe the solution...

We are in Oxfordshire near to farm land and they are double the jackdaw size that we have visit and they have a long horn coloured beak. The carrion crows live in the trees around 2 miles away and don't come near the garden.

I chased them off around an hour ago and as soon as they come back will take a picture and post it.

I have suet balls and seed feeders

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I had to stop putting fat balls out in the garden because they attracted the crows from the nearby church steeple. Try putting seed only out and see if that helps the problem.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Sounds like Rooks to me https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/r/rook/ 

they're grain eaters.

Last edited: 29 May 2017 17:28:05

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

More likely to be rooks or crows. Rooks have a more grey whitish beak.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

Ravens have black beaks, so it will be a Rook.

All Corvids are really clever birds.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.