Year 1

So, this is our 2nd year in our house, and our first year attempting to grow our own food. 

So far we have onions, garlic, lettuce, cavelo nero, spinach, chard, beetroot, broccoli, beans, peas, squash and courgettes. 

The garden is a big work in progress but next month is chicken month. Hopefully getting 4-6 hens. The pond also needs to go in. 

We've grown everything from seed indoors.

From having no experience, I've managed to grow all the salad and veg that I would normally buy weekly. 

Indoors we have got a few tomato and cucumber plants.

We've used no chemicals, encouraged a small army of frogs, toads and animals to keep pests under. 

Quite a successful first attempt!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,601

Pretty good, I would say.

Are you going to grow the tomatoes outside or do you plan on getting a greenhouse?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Impressive!image

• Thank you! 

I'll need to grow the tomatoes indoors. We don't have a greenhouse yet and the north-east weather isn't too friendly. 

Would you recommend that I grow my cucumbers indoors too?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,563

That looks really good - you've obviously got the gardening gene image.

There are some cucumbers that do OK outdoors if the weather is good and if you bought outdoor types specifically. But indoors is better if you have the room - they like warmth though don't need as much sunlight as tomatoes.

It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,356

Outdoor or Ridge cucumbers are a good bet if you don't have a G/H - given a reasonable season, they crop prolifically and have a double use - you can pickle the small ones and use them rather like Gherkins and let others grow large enough for a snack.  The only downside, if you are that fussy, is that they tend to be rather spiny and have a tougher skin. A brisk scrub with water usually sorts it out and the flavour tends to be stronger than the indoor varieties IMO.