Covering Horizontal drainage pipes

Hi, 

newcomer here. I have moved in to a property that has a drainage ditch with plastic pipes that cross the ditch. They look unsightly and I want to disguise them.

i was thinking using some sort of fast growing evergreen with some kind of mesh Support. Can anyone suggest a good way of erecting the support and a plant gag will happily grow horizontally. It's 2-3 metres and I presume the plant doesn't want to be to heavy 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,644

Hi Pinchie image

Could you post a photo for us so we can get a better idea of your options .... I worry about potentially blocking the drainage ditch and causing flooding that could get you in legal hot water.  

To post a photo click on the camera icon ... if it doesn't upload try reducing the size of the pic ... that usually works.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • pinchie01pinchie01 Posts: 3

imageHi Dove, hopefully you can see this pic? The pipe is at around 3 feet above the ground which was previously overgrown and I have cleared. 

Hi ... yes I can see that image

I really wouldn't put any netting or mesh around/over that pipe ......... in a winter flood debris/twigs etc would get caught in it and could quickly cause a blockage causing a dam effect and flood your garden and that of your neighbours, or maybe worse! 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

I've fixed the orientation on your photo, pinchie.:

I wouldn't be please with that pipework either - looks like a bit of a bodge job.  Do you know what services the pipe is carrying?  All I can come up with is hiding it under an old log, which would at least look more natural.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

What is on the other side of the ditch?   What about a little footbridge over the pipe?  It could be attractive without having bits that would snag any floating debris.  

A log is probably a better idea than a 'bridge' Bob.  image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

My first idea was a bridge, too, Dove! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 3,790

When our pond was fitted, the water was flowing to the cascade through a grey plastic pipe which stood out like a sore thumb - it was hideous.  We have put some plants close by which will eventually grow to hide the pipe.  In the meantime I had the idea of painting the pipe a dark colour to camouflage it and help it to blend in.  We hardly notice the pipe now.  Perhaps you could paint your pipe grey or earth colour pinchie.

• pinchie01pinchie01 Posts: 3

hi, thanks for the ideas everyone

- can anyone recommend a type of paint that might be used? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,677

If its plastic you can get Plasticote paint from B&Q.  Its strange that if it is a drain pipe, why does it not go into the ditch? Perhaps a bit of investigation required....

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller