Forum home The potting shed

I am riddled with guilt

Hi,

I hope you are having a nice day. I am riddled with guilt over my honeysuckle plant. I bought it last year and didn't repot it so it has been in the same plastic container for a year. It is tall and spindly ... Can I make things right and bring him/her back to life?? I have a 50cm pot that I am hoping may do the trick if I can. I owe my poor plant that at least. Any advice would be very much welcomed.

Thank you

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,816

Just plant it on with some form of trellis or obelisk or something to grow up in a good soil, prune it back to healthiest looking bud and it should be fine it'a pretty tough plant in my experience 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,280

50cms and some very good John Innes no 3 compost will be better than its original plastic pot but not for long.   best to plant it in teh ground where it can get its feet down as they are quite vigorous.   It will need something to climb on - trellis, metal grid, tensioned wires or a tree.

While it's in a pot, keep it fed and regularly watered so it can thrive.  There's only 80 days worth of food in most potting composts and 100 at best.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

Obelixx is right - they're not container plants, unless the container is really huge. image

However, anything is better than where it is at the moment. Be kind to it, and keep it somewhere in semi shade, as they are woodland plants. Don't let it get dehydrated.

They're not so good as fence/wall type climbers -  more suited to scrambling over things like sheds or arbours etc. If you can plant it out later, when it's recovered well enough, try and pick that kind of spot for it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• flowerbomb2flowerbomb2 Posts: 54

Thank you so much for your very helpful responses guys. Sorry for late answer I had people staying for BH but I always appreciate the advice I'm given. Just to say though that I can't plant it in the ground as I only have a balcony but I did buy the compact variety called "Rhubarb & Custard". Is it ok to cut it in size at this time of year?