Forum home Wildlife gardening

Old pond - new resident

This feisty little weasel appears to have taken up residency underneath this old raised pond in our yard. We were alerted to this when one of our greyhounds poked her nose in and nearly got it bitten off, accompanied by very loud squeaking, much too loud to be a rat. She then made several appearances in front of our camera before proceeding to carry her babies into the feed barn directly behind where she has no doubt found a safer nest for them. They are very welcome to as many rats as they can find in there, and there are plenty around at the moment!

imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,163

All part of nature MW - at it's best.  They're great predators of rabbits too  image

We had one at the last house who used to hide in a bit of drainpipe (building work going on) and just waited for all the young rabbits to appear so that he/she could jump out and nab one. I could have done with a dozen of them! He also used to run along the edge of the conservatory windows and have a look in at us  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes I know, BobbySpray, and our barns have swallows and wrens nesting at the moment, but we have rats a plenty that will take nestlings, as well as magpies and crows that raid nests and sparrowhawks that terrorise the birdfeeders from time to time, but despite this we sustain a large and diverse number of birds here, including song thrushes and bullfinches. When we lived in suburbia our neighbours cats would lie in wait for fledglings as they emerged from the nestboxes we had carefully placed in what we hoped would be a wildlife friendly garden. Nature usually finds a balance......

Last edited: 26 May 2017 13:59:39

• The do seem to be quite fearless, Fairygirl, this one was certainly not afraid of us taking pictures and videos image

One thing we are short of here, and that is rabbits - we had mixy a few years ago and the population hasn't recovered yet - hopefully the weasels will concentrate on the rats instead image 

Last edited: 26 May 2017 14:10:08

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,163

Magpies and r***y cats cause more problems to the nesting birds here. image

We had myxi a number of years ago too, but we had a rabbit population explosion about five or six years ago in many areas.  The weasel at that house certainly kept some of them at bay! Used to have a few of them where I worked (stables)  Always loved seeing them out in the fields. I'd think they would catch a good few rats too   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,577

Much rather have weasels than rats.

We have magpies nesting here but, as yet, have heard nothing from the nests nor seen any young ones flapping about.  We also have swallows nesting in the ruin, black redstarts in the barn and tits and sparrows in house eaves, ruin and barn.   Planning to build an owl nesting box when I've done a bit of research and found the best site.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319

my little blue tits have all grown up and disappeared. 

I miss them.image

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,577

There will probably be a second brood coming along soon.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319

I certainly hope so.

Devon.
  • ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

Whatever people may think - great pictures.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282

Great pictures, great little animals ....... not so many of them around that they're going to totally decimate the wildlife in the area. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh