Forum home The potting shed

garden mirror

I am looking at buying a garden mirror to hang on tbe back wall of my garden behind the garden bench. Can anyone recommend  a supplier of good quality ones. There are so many on the internet i dont know where to start!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

First of all you need to know that birds can injure themselves flying into mirrors as they don't recognise the danger so careful siting is important.

Secondly, it doesn't have to be special glass.  I bought a rusty metal Moroccan style frame at a plant fair years ago and had some ordinary mirror glass cut to size and hung it on our back wall.  It stayed there all year round for 18 years and survived temps form -32C to +38C as well as hailstones, rain and snow.

Last edited: 24 May 2017 20:04:08

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,072

Birds and bees will throw themselves at windows and mirrors of they see a reflection of the sky. I agree that you need to be careful, but it add a depth and interest to your garden.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Someone I know removed the mirror from his garden after the third blackbird flew into it and broke its neck image

Last edited: 24 May 2017 23:06:41

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

It's all about position.  No casualties with mine in nearly 20 years tho I did have the odd bird with a headache after flying into upstairs windows.  One turtle dove left an outline on a landing window last year but there was never a problem with the mirror which was low down and positioned to reflect summer sunsets back onto the terrace.

Last edited: 25 May 2017 09:23:52

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh dear.

Mirrors are a very bad thing in any garden.

Yes birds crash into them but more because a bird, mainly males see themselves in the mirror, there own reflection and will then embark relentlessly on getting rid of the opponent they see (themselves) exhausting themselves to the point of death and have known to die fighting there own reflection.

This is something that's not unique to birds, mammals do the same.

Please don't put a mirror in your garden image

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,736

Totally agree with Cottage Compost ! 

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).