Forum home Plants

An ID please

Hi I planted this two years ago, probably from a seedling, into a very large planter on the veranda of my shed. Not really knowing how the sun would shine on the veranda as it has a roof, I planted it at the back of the planter ( or that could be because I had loads of seedlings and nowhere to plant them) 

it only gets sun for a couple of hours in the summer, more in spring. 

i have no idea what it is and Google has been no help. 

It now has flower buds for the first time - the past two years it's has just had red and purple leaves. It's about 10 inches from base to the buds.

Can any of you good people tell me what it is and do I need to move it to a more suitable place?

many thanks imageimageimage

• I think this is a weed, but no idea which!

• Dave HedgehogDave Hedgehog Posts: 377

Looks somewhat like a sow thistle (Sonchus sp), possibly the prickly type.

Sometimes they emerge red or burgundy and later go green.

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,332

Hi I've googled sow Thistle it's nothing like it. But it is a weed. But don't know what.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,714

Please add a clear pic of the flower when it opens.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Many thanks. If it's a weed it's not a very successful weed as it had hardly grown in over 2 years. the new leaves are green and then turn purple as they age. It has no prickles and to a bit fluffy. Will post a pic of the flowers when they open. 

• Dave HedgehogDave Hedgehog Posts: 377
    Logan4 says:

Hi I've googled sow Thistle it's nothing like it. But it is a weed. But don't know what.

See original post

If you had to search Google for Sow Thistle (Sonchus sp) then you are clearly not familar enough with that genus of 'wildflower' to totally dismiss it based upon observations of a few pictures. Sorry image.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481

Patsy, try reducing the size of the picture and then uploading again image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,714

Quote.."Actually, looking at it again maybe it's not the same ?. i wonder if mine is a Rodgersia?"

Yes it is Patsy F!

Last edited: 26 May 2017 17:05:43

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .