Forum home Plants

Bog Plants

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 823

Large chunk of lawn in sunny s/w facing  really boggy spot. I have never grown plants in a bog garden and know that Gunnera will be too big and don't like dark green nothingy type plants. Apart from Irises and Astilbes, and ideas? Hostas/Ferns and Cornus are thriving there. Is there a small type opf Gunnera plant that I could try?? All ideas welcome _ I dont want to drain anything as this could be a soakaway for the house. Only been here a month!

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,166

Darmera peltata is like a bit smaller version of Gunnera, has quite pretty pink flowers on long stalks about now, followed by large umbrella leaves. 

Rodgersias would also give you large leaves - there's choice of shape, flower colour and green or bronzy leaves, according to variety.

Ligularia is another one, with either green or dark bronze leaves and flowers either in long spikes or shorter spikes with larger yellow or orange daisy flowers.

If you fancy some flowers, Hemerocallis doesn't mind growing in moist soils,  and there are always the bog primulas for boosts of colour at different times.

Persicarias will also grow there, but run wild, as could Lythrum, and there is also Lysichiton camtschatcensis, not the americanius which is now on the banned list because of its invasive tendencies, but the slightly smaller, white flowered one.

I actually yesterday finished planting up a new boggy border that gets plenty of sun and have most of these somewhere in the garden - several springs originate in the hillside above and run through our property, though they are very slow at the moment.

• Hortum-cretaeHortum-cretae Posts: 979

One of my favourites is salvia uliginosa. Fantastic blue on tall airy stems. 

H-C

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358

How big a space do you have to fill?

B'cupdays has pretty much covered it, but I'll add Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum) which will grow well in damp soil, although it prefers a bit of shade, but other planting could provide that. Astilbes are the same. Don't forget that many marginals will also grow in a bog garden - Caltha for starters, although it can spread a fair bit if it's happy. I love my Ligularia which is in a similar spot, but it's currently about 60 to 70 cm wide and high, so it will take up a bit of room. It depends on the variety though. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

Lobelia cardinalis is my fave. Looks great with purple loostrife,  both tall majestic looking plants.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

There is a smaller version of gunnera but it still grows to 5 feet! Too tall?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 823

Thank you so much for all the input -I thought we had about 15feet square, but after the storms at the w/e this has stretched to about 30ft long by 12ft. We have cornus flanking the garden on 2 sides and a stream (well a wet ditch really) between us and a marshy field. Did soil test at front on clay 'neutral ph' at the back 'slightly acid' -will all bulbs rot -or are there some that will do well in Spring?? Lily of the Valley is thriving. Will Lilies like it? The whole plot is about Quarter of an acre so loads to play with. Putting in Raised Beds for veg, as many parts will be too soggy -Are there any veg that don't mind damp?