Forum home Problem solving

Privet hedge dropping leaves?

Our lovely privet hedge which gives us sole privacy from the road has started dropping its leaves. It looks very thirsty so I have watered it today, but looking at all the other privet hedges in our area - they are all doing grand.

I tried to peel the bark off near the base but saw no white stuff or sign of honey fungus. It has always had a mottled appearance with some yellow and some green leaves, but it kind of looks like the leaves are paler and drier. They fall off when you bursh it from different twigs (so randomly from different twigs).

Really want to save it before it is too late! So any help will be greatly appreciated

best wishes,

Louise

imageimage

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

privet leaves themselves only last so long and then they drop them, it might just be that they've reached the end of their leaf life and are dropping before getting replaced by nice new ones,

i'd water and give it a good feed

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463

Although we'reinclined to think they're evergreen, they aren't. Have you got some of the yellow variety in there? It's less robust anyway. They thrive on plenty of water, so if you've experienced the drier spells thathave been present recently, it may just need a good drink.

Tidy the excess leaves away, and drench it, add a little general fertiliser, and mulch it with something to help retain the moisture. 

When you trim, try and keep the bottom of the hedge a little wider than the top too. The bottoms of stems can get shaded out a bit if the hedge is too upright. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• lpaytonlpayton Posts: 3

Thanks for your speedy reply! I will do what you say. I do think it is a mix of a yellow and green variety, but the yellow leaves are looking particularly unhappy. I just noticed it is worse on the top than the sides. 

So you don't think it could be mites or a fungus? It seems to have happened rather quickly

Thanks!

• lpaytonlpayton Posts: 3

P.s. actually the top is much denser - it is just that the dead leaves are getting caught in there

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I think it's just very, very thirsty and hungry