Help i.d. tree please

glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 192

Ok, I don't have a leaf as they're all rather high up, but thought I'd ask if anyone can help identify this please? The neighbour is under the impression it's a Tree of Heaven, but reading the description doesn't sound like this at all (no suckering, no smell).

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 586

Sorry...need a few good close ups...leaves/flowers/seed pods.

Cannot see enough detail from your general shot.

Please can you add to this thread.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Hortum-cretaeHortum-cretae Posts: 969

Can't see from the picture as it's too far away but the habit makes me think it might be koelreuteria paniculata. Have a look and see what you think.

H-C

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 192

Thanks, I got the pole pruner out and snipped a twig, any use? 

I still don't know what this tree is but I have some better pictures of leaves now...can anyone help? 

imageimage

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,475

The bark and the leaves both look like it is Ailanthus  Altissima, Tree of Heaven. Would be good to have a pictue of the tree now. 

No idea why it's posting sideways! 

I do wish it was something nicer, and I don't want to lose the height by replacing it with something else that will take a decade to grow large.

Last edited: 17 July 2017 23:17:08

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,475

That is a tall tree. It does look like the tree, but a bit more finer looking than the ones I am used to seeing. So not totally sure now. Hopefully other more experienced members on here can comment later.