Forum home Plants

azalea plant

have planted a lovely azalea about 2 weeks ago in full flower but now all the flowers seem to have died. what can i do ?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,415

Wait for next year I'm afraid bobandglo08 (are there really 7 other bobandglos? image)

Azaleas are incredible for a short time then that's it for a year.  Mine is like this just now 

but once it's finished, I put it behind the shed until next Spring.  

One thing you can do is pick off the seed heads ready for next year.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736

Yes, dead head and make sure you water well now otherwise you wont get any flowers next year.Next spring give it a top dress of specilist compost or feed.

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

I have an Azalea like that. It would flower, then drop its flowers the next day and it was a boring green bush for the rest of the year. It was in my front garden, north-facing, and maybe wasn't getting enough light. I dug it up and put it in a pot and put in the back garden for more sun, but it was still dropping its flowers a day or two later. I was on the verge of giving it away (or disposing of it), but this year I moved the pot again to a new position. It's more sheltered and gets the full sun from 11am till 5pm.

This is it

and it's been like this for a good 10 days. I m really happy with it.

Maybe preserve? Try a new spot in the garden, or in my case, it could just luck and the plant maturing and now gives a better display. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736

We had one years ago, inherited from garden where we lived silly little green leaves and hardly any of them, didnt flower for years, that was a very hot south facing garden.  Took it with us when we moved (not even sure why now looking back!) it flowered in our last east facing garden, we brought it here, NE facing but big so plenty of sun.  It flowers very small white flowers but exquisite perfume.  Course, their natural habitat is woodlandy, so you would expect they would be happy with little sun, no idea why it didnt flower all those years.  I have a lot of rhodos and azaleas collected over the years all in pots, but most dont flower for very long, the luteums are the best, lovelly smell and quite long flowering.