Forum home The potting shed

turf laying

I have a bed which I sprayed last October then covered with a tarpauling because it had ground elder and the likes well it has now been uncovered and the pesky weeds are returning . The owners want to turf over the old bed and plant Lavender at the edge.

Will any one agree with me that the course of action is as follows.

1 respray bed with a weed killer I have Glyphosate

2 wait 2 weeks for weeds to die

3 remover any dead weeds showing then cover with top soil to create a nice soft and even bed

4 lay turf in conjunction with the lavender

5 finally my concern is it is now the end of may so in theory we might not lay grass until end of June / beginning of July really best time is April or September to lay turf thoughts as always please thanks Lester

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,785

Lester, you need to wait about 6 weeks after spraying ground elder before removing dead foliage or the glyphosate will not reach all of the roots, which is what you need to kill.  Tell them that it is one of the worst weeds and if you don't treat it properly it will come back and ruin the new lawn.  Some ground elder usually reappears even after spraying and waiting 6 weeks so you will very likely have to spray it again.  By the time you are sure it is all gone it will be getting on for September and a good time to lay turf.  Good luck in your battle!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,132

Check the ground elder hasn't already spread into the existing turf!

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

My idea is spray entire bed then wait 2 weeks. Then get new gardener dig a section about 2 feet wide and the length of the bed to remove stubborn weeds so we can plant lavender plants the length of the bed giving the rest of the bed time to completely kill the roots then turf up to the lavender is this a good idea thanks Lester 

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632

Lawn weeds, including ground elder, are so easy to spray and treat that if the customer wants the turf done now I'd have no qualms doing it, with a scheduled weed spray later in the summer. Of course, the lawn MUST be watered every night if it's hot and dry.