tadpoles

biu

• annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 154

ive had a few frogs for quite a while now and its the first time they've had tadpoles and their all different sizes and as its been a number of years so too speak since ive seen them can anyone say how long it takes them to develop into frogs ...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,167

It depends a lot upon the conditions, e.g. water temperature, amount of food available etc.  Usually froglets start leaving the pond in early summer but sometimes it can be well into September, and sometimes they will overwinter as tadpoles and complete the metamorphosis the following year.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 403

can't add much to Dove's comprehensive answer except to say that I have found that the amount of sunlight hitting the pond can have a tremendous impact on the speed of development. The tadpoles in my sunny pond develop weeks before those in the more shady pond (I have 5 ponds in total). From the point at which they develop back legs and turn from herbivores into carnivores, their development can hasten dramatically - depending on how rich your pond is in invertebrates. 

Last edited: 21 May 2017 10:12:59

thanks for your answer dovefromabove , ive not really done much with my pond ive left it so too speak more to nature cleared the leaves away and that's it a few pond grasses and ornaments ... we,ve seen an odd one with legs starting but most of them are swimming in and out of ornaments

I've spent a large part of today laying on my tum watching frogs, newts, pond snails, water boatmen and damsel flies in and around our pond ........... bliss image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thanks helpful herpetologist,   my pond gets sun midday onward but I do have a few large shrubs around the pond which im thinking of giving them a trim just to get more light they've seem to have grown so much over the winter

Make sure you've got some long grass and plants around the pond edges so that when the froglets do leave the pond they're not sitting targets for all the blackbirds and cats in the neighbourhood.  

I do have a cat ,but he tends to sit and watch them and falls asleep most of the day hes getting old ... in fact the birds walk around him and he just quietly sits and ignores them , mind you there has been a kestrel around lately